I was accused of drawing mold and pouring water on the walls of my house to be rehoused
A mum has told how she was accused of drawing mold and pouring water on the walls of her house to be rehoused.
Chan Simpson says she “felt stupid” after her housing association accused her of staging a getaway.
The single mum moved into her home in May last year – and first noticed trouble with the house in December.
She told Plymouth Live: “We have water dripping down the walls, it’s freezing cold and we have mold in my little boy’s room.
“We first noticed it around Christmas because my grandfather and grandmother stayed with us and when my grandfather got out of bed he put his hand on one of the walls and he was soaked.”
Chan claims she was electrocuted twice due to water seeping into electrical sockets from a leak in her shower – and says they are extremely dangerous, especially for her child.
But an electrician dispatched by Plymouth Community Homes allegedly accused Chan of ‘drawing’ the mold on his son’s bedroom wall with a pen – and the only action they took was to wipe the mold off. ‘water.
Carl Brazier, director of Homes & Neighborhoods, said they were made aware of the problem and alternative accommodation was arranged.
He said: ‘When we first became aware of the issues, we arranged alternative accommodation for Chantal and her son while we thoroughly investigated the issues.
“We have since made repairs to the roof and checked the roof for leaks, as well as adding additional insulation in the attic, which has remained dry.”
But Chan claims a housing official also accused her of “spraying” the water on the walls herself.
She said: ‘They (PCH) sent one of the housing officers to have a look and he accused me of dousing the walls with water myself.
“My mom said, ‘Who wakes up and thinks I’m going to hose down my walls today.'”
Chan says the accusations made her feel “stupid and embarrassed” as well as upset.
Carl Brazier added: ‘Chantal’s house has been visited by electricians, repair supervisors, senior housing officers and contractors who have confirmed that the insulation above the fittings and fuse panel is also dry. , so we’re still trying to figure out where the water is coming from. .
“We continue to work with Chantal to find the cause of the problem, our accommodation management and repair teams having visited again earlier this week and we are committed to resolving the problem as soon as possible.”
Now Chan’s living conditions have become so bad that she has returned to live in her parents’ house with her son.
She said: “They told me they were going to change the roof, but they just won’t tell me when because it’s not an emergency.
“They don’t know where it came from, that’s why they accuse me.
“It’s so humid that we had to go back to my mum and dad.”